Harriet Meek born Lea Bailey abt 1846 (General)

by Jenny White, Sunday, October 23, 2005, 12:53 (6763 days ago)

Harriet Meek born Lea Bailey abt 1846.

I am trying to unravel my MEEK branch of the family. This is what I have so far:

Harriet MEEK married James GRIFFITHS (can’t find the marriage) about 1868 calculating from birth of first child Elizabeth GRIFFITHS age 3 in 1871 census.

Harriet is age 26 and living with husband James Griffiths in Nailbridge, East Dean in 1871. There are two other children Alice age 2 and Thomas age 2 months. The eldest daughter Elizabeth is living with Ann MEEK and Charles MEEK (grandparents??) in East Dean. Ann MEEK is age 42 and Charles MEEK is 35.

This is where it gets complicated.

Going back a bit further in 1851 census I have found Harriet MEEK living with Thomas ADAMS age 25 born Dean Forest, Glos and his wife Ann ADAMS age 28 born Lea (for county it says HEF).. Harriet is age 6 born Lea Bailey, Glos and is described as Stepdaughter.

In 1861 I can find Ann ADAMS a widow, age 30 born East Dean, living with her is her daughter Harriet ADAMS age 17. Living with the family and described as boarders are Charles MEEK age 25, and William MEEK age 25.

As I said earlier, by 1871 there is an Ann MEEK age, 42 living with a Charles MEEK age 35 looking after the daughter of Harriet GRIFFITHS (nee MEEK).

So, if you are still with me:

1) Was Ann ADAMS born Ann MEEK and her daughter Harriet MEEK was illegitimate.

2) Did Ann ADAMS when she became widowed marry her lodger Charles MEEK and become Ann MEEK again.

3) I think the age of Ann in 1851 census is wrong, I think it should read 23 and not 28 which would tie in with the other ages through the later census.

If Ann ADAMS was born Ann MEEK and was 23 in 1851 then it is possible she is the daughter of Hannah MEEK age 40 in 1841 census. There is an Ann age 12 with a brother William age 2. If so is this likely to be the William MEEK boarding with her in 1861.

I cant find Ann MEEK in 1881 although I can find a Charles MEEK age 45 a widower living with parents James MEEK age 74 born Lea Bailey and his wife Hannah age 72, born Down Hatherley. This Charles MEEK gives his birthplace as Hatherley, Glos.

I had found a Charles MEEk age 22 born Lea Bailey on 1851 census lodging with Edward MORGAN and his wife Charlotte in West Dean. I wondered if this could be the same Charles.
If you are still with me you are doing very well.

Any help at all would be appreciated.

Jenny

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread