King Road & Ada Maria (General)

by robdavis @, Saturday, February 07, 2009, 02:53 (5551 days ago) @ dink999

I can't find out about 'America Jack' but a letter appeared in the Bristol Mercury and Daily Post on Wednesday 19th October 1881. In the correspondence section under the heading 'The shipping disasters in the Bristol Channel'

"Sir- The officer and boat's crew of the SS Seaham Harbour wish publicly, through the medium of your paper, to express their heartfelt thanks to Mrs Woodrow, of the Avonmouth Hotel, for her great kindness to them on being landed during the recent gale after endeavouring to save the life of a man from the wreck of the Ada Maria. Signed The Officer and Crew, SS Seaham Harbour, Kingroad, October 17th 1881"

There was later a public auction at Dundas Wharf, Redcliff of damaged wheat from the Ada Maria. "700 sacks of kiln dried American spring wheat"

Another casualty in the area was reported in the Daily News on Saturday October 15th 1881 under the heading 'Terrible Gale'

"Gloucester. At Little Dean, a boy named Bowdler was standing to-day at his father's door, when the wind blew with violence, and the boy's head being caught by it, he was killed on the spot."

I thought there may be relatives interested in either Mrs Woodrow or the poor lad Bowdler.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread