Henry Gamage 1813 Hereford , (General)

by Shari @, Linden, MI, USA, Sunday, December 04, 2005, 05:43 (6717 days ago) @ slowhands

The 1871 census is amusing. Deodakis? That would be Deodatus. This is the first time that I have ever seen anything that tells me where Elizabeth (Rogers) Gamage was born.

Thomas should not be in this census -- he was not born until 1874, by his own accounts. Jane was the eldest, then my great-grandfather Deodatus John, born 1868 in Hereford. Next came Albert and then Tom.

In the passenger list from the Persian Monarch (1881, when they emigrated) it shows the family listed as follows;
Henry - 60 (?), D.C.R. - 29, Mrs. D.C.R. - 28, Jane - 11, John - 10, Albert - 8, Edwin - 6, Elizabeth - 3 and Rosalie - 2.

From Uncle Tom's memoirs I have it that Tom was 6 years old when they came to America. I believe that Edwin is actually Albert's middle name and I have no idea who Rosalie is. There should have been another brother, Richard or Dick, listed and a sister Agnes.

You posted the 1900 US census, Manhattan New York. John H. Gamage, head of household is my great-grandfather (Deodatus John or John Deodatus). Agnes, daughter , born 1899 is my grandmother. And you see another Agnes (sister) listed. Strange how these things are listed.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread