Family Tree Maker 2009 (General)

by jimashton @, Saturday, April 04, 2009, 04:01 (5463 days ago) @ kiwiceltic

Hi Kiwicelic

I too use Family Tree Maker 2009 and find it better than the 2008 version as it is much quicker. The first versions of 2008 were actually a retrograde step as reports generated by it were pathetic compared to earlier versions. Following representations by users however this was overcome by a comprehensive upgrade. The changes were carried over into the 2009 version. I have to say however that it is not my main family tree software. I use Generations Grand Suite v8.5 UK, which I find far superior in every way. I use Family Tree Maker 2009, solely for production of Descendancy Reports as it is a particularly good way of sharing information with family tree contacts. Obviously I don't enter the detail into both forms of software manually, but periodically populate Family Tree Maker 2009 by sending myself a GEDCOM version from Generations and opening that in Family Tree Maker.

Two notes of warning -

(1) I have noted in Ancestry publications that from version 2008 it is not possible to transfer data from Ancestry On Line family trees, this facility still exists (Ibelieve)with version 2006 or earlier, so if you upgrade, keep any earlier version. You may not have an on line family tree, but someone may wish to share one with you at some point.

(2) Ancestry are very cute with upgrades and forcing people to upgrade. A family Tree contact in America with whom I was sharing information, sent me their family tree written in Family Tree Maker 2006, when I attempted to open it in a 2003 version which I had at the time I received a message that my version was too old. I upgraded to version 2006, only for the same thing to happen two years later and had to upgrade to the 2008 version.

Jim

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread