Farr - Gwilliam (General)

by Louise Morgan @, Friday, January 20, 2006, 01:35 (6680 days ago) @ slowhands

Thank you for your replies. I'll tell you what I've got, fact and hearsay!
On her birth certificate in 1910 my Grandmother's parents are William Henry Farr and Ellen Farr, formerly Horne. However my Grandmother told me that her parents were known as Henry William Farr and Helen Horne.
William's death cert. Cardiff 1940 gives his name as William Farr and age 62.
We believe that Ellen's date of birth was Jan 19th 1878 or 9.
I believe that William and Ellen had at least 10 children. I have birth certs for 3 of them that all give same names for parents. The children from 1904 onwards were born in Cardiff, the first son William was born c1901/2 and there are several possibles on free BMD.
I have found the family in a Cardiff street directory 1905 but nothing in 1901 census for either William or Ellen.
We have always believed that William was born in English Bicknor. I have found a William born Bicknor in 1901 census but he is a little too young and working on a farm near Ross which doesn't quite fit. There is also a Farr family from Bicknor in 1881 with a son Henry born 1878, sounds more promising but no trace of him by 1901.
We certainly had relatives in Joyford but they may have been by marriage. One of my grandmothers sisters married a cousin, who was a Wilks. Nobody knows how they were related. I think the Joyford relatives may have been Wilks not Farr.
As far as the hearsay goes there was talk that William and Ellen were also related. Also talk of links to a travelling family. Any further info would be fantastic. Thanks very much.
Louise

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread