Pewtner family (General)

by Joss O\'Kelly, Tuesday, March 21, 2006, 12:53 (6614 days ago)

Sorry for the extreme length of this post - if you are not interested in Pewtners, run away now!

Part of this is a reply to a post from slowhands that started life in a Meek thread. I’ve copied the original post and marked it *, adding my indented comments and new findings. Ann Pewtner, christened on 22 February 1801 in Whitchurch was a daughter of Esaias b 1773, and she is the link to both Watkins and Meek families.

I have traced my direct line of Pewtners from Newport back to Chepstow, to Monmouth to Whitchurch to Bristol, but other lines of the family seem to have got lost in the Forest of Dean. They appear briefly and then disappear, or in one case reappear 40 years on. I’m not expecting anyone else to be researching them, but perhaps they are in your trees by marriage? If you have any ancestors with the Christian name Esaias, there must be Pewtners about as the name pops up again and again. So if you find any lost Pewtners, I can give them a good home!

* In the Transcripts - so far I have only come across 2 entries, both Burials

Anne on 20th May 1835 of Berry Hill buried Christchurch aged 38, and
Elizabeth Mary on 24th July 1862 of Ruardean, buried Ruardean aged 3.

No idea who these are

* And some Census entries :-

Esaias Pewtner abt 1798 Ross, Herefordshire, Head Lydney Gloucestershire
Mary Ann Pewtner abt 1812 Coleford, Gloucestershire, Wife Lydney Gloucestershire
Anne Pewtner abt 1838 Lydney, Gloucestershire, Daughter Lydney Gloucestershire

Have this family. Esaias christened 3 Sept 1797 in Whitchurch, was agent to trading vessel, his father was Esaias b 1773 Bristol who married Susannah GARDINER on 3 November 1794 in Whitchurch, Herefordshire. Esaias 1797 married Mary Ann CAILAWAY on 28 March 1837 in Bristol. Also had daughter Henrietta b 1839, presume she had died by 1851.

No sign of any of them in 1861 or later.

*Jane Pewtner abt 1831 Bristol Pennitent Bristol St James Gloucestershire

No idea. A Jane b Bristol 1838 turns up in 1861 as a servant in Richmond!

I also found a family transcribed as PEWDNER in Coleford.
William b 1813 New Ware, Herefordshire Head Occup: Post Master
Wife Ann b 1812 Coleford
Children all born Coleford - Jane 1838, Elizabeth 1840, Martha 1844, Ann 1847, Mary 1847 Henry 1849

Also I have an Esaiah Pewtner in Pigot’s Directory for Coleford 1830 who was Schoolmaster at the National School. Can’t identify which he was without more clues.

William Pewtner abt 1815 Whitchurch, Herefordshire, Head Ruardean Gloucestershire
Elizabeth Pewtner abt 1826 Ruardean, Gloucestershire, Wife Ruardean Gloucestershire
Esaras Pewtner abt 1858 Ruardean, Gloucestershire, Son Ruardean Gloucestershire
Susanna Wila Pewtner abt 1850 Ruardean, Gloucestershire, Daughter Ruardean Gloucestershire
William Wilar Pewtner abt 1855 Ruardean, Gloucestershire, Son Ruardean Gloucestershire

This William might also have been a son of Esaias b 1773. He had two other Williams that I know of, plus 2 Susannahs, so into recycling names as children died. This family doesn’t appear on any other census. What happened to them? Esarus b 1858 a mistranscription for Esaias. What’s with Wila / Wilar? Could this have been wife Elizabeth’s maiden name? Any Wilars out there?

*Harry Pewtner abt 1812 Whitchurch, Herefordshire, Lodger West Dean Gloucestershire

No idea. His occup. is given as Tailor. Another son of Esaias b 1773? . He had a Henry christened on 1 October 1809 in Whitchurch. Or see Henry Pewdner above in 1851 - if this is the same guy, what happened to former career, wife and children?

By 1871 all the above have evaporated. There is an Anna Pewtner b Coleford 1847 working as a domestic servant in Somerset, who could be the Ann Pewdner in 1951
Also a previously unknown John b Bristol who is a Coach Painter in Hereford (and in 1881 a Coach painter in London)

1881 Nothing

1891 ditto

1901 A Pewtner family pops up in East Dean!
Head is William b 1855 Ruardean, a coal hewer below ground, who presumably is the William Wilar Pewtner who was around in 1861, though goodness knows where he has been for the last 40 years. He has a wife Mary b 1856 East Dean and children, Lucy 1885 East Dean, Susan 1889 East Dean, William 1892 East Dean, Arthur 1894 Ruardean, Mary 1896 East Dean and Percy 1899 East Dean

Phew!

Thanks for bearing with me, best wishes

Joss

PS Haven’t mentioned Henrietta b1812, another possible daughter of Esaias b 1773. (Either he was a very busy boy, or had a brother I haven’t traced yet as these possible offspring are getting out of hand). She doesn’t appear on any local census as in 1834 she married a James Hobby in Hampshire and subsequently had at least 7 children, including one called Esaias. More on her soon I hope…

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread