Bailey - Vine Family (General)

by Bailey @, Sunday, April 04, 2010, 22:20 (5138 days ago) @ JaneWatkins

Bailey - Vine

In my search I have found reference to William Edward BAILEY VINE who's father I believe is CHARLES VINE, born / baptised 23/5/1847 Staunton (living at Snigs End which is on the border of Corse and Staunton).

Charles Vine was the son of William Vine (b.1800/3 Eldersfield) and Elizabeth , known as Betty,(b.1800/2). Charles siblings were William, Sarah and James born Eldersfield (Census records).

In 1881 Census, Charles lived with his mother Betty Vine together with a boarder Jane Bayley and her children Sophia, Elizabeth, Sarah Ann, Louisa, Charles and William all born in Staunton except for William (whom I believe was baptised at Newent Union Workhouse 5/3/1881).

It is not known as to whether Bailey was Jane's maiden or married name. Jane is recorded as being born in Tirley but there is no evidence to confirm this. My theory is that Jane's husband either deserted her or died in 1880/1 and Jane found herself briefly in Newent Union Workhouse.

In 1891 Census, Charles and Jane are now recorded as husband and wife, Jane's children Lucy(Louisa) and William are now named as Vine and not Bailey, Charles and Jane now have further children Rose, Sophia, Agnes and Albert.

Jane died aged 42 and was buried at Corse parish church 28/9/1897 but is recorded as Jane Bailey, and listed as another surname in paratheses after Bailey is the name VINE. This seems to indicate that Charles and Jane were not legally married but lived as man and wife.

Parish records for the following marriages provides further evidence of this relationship:-

Albert Edward Baily (21) married 1909 Hasfield Annie M Cross (Albert's father being Charles Vine)

Sophia Ellen Bailey (29) married 1902 Hasfield Charles Bayliss (Sophia's father being Charles Vine)

Louisa Bailey (23) married 1899 Hasfield John Gauge Didcote (Louisa's father being Charles Vine

I have seen the children born Bailey recorded as being Bailey, Bailey Vine, or just Vine. The explanation of the relationship between Charles and Jane is a mystery.

Trust this provides some direction for your search for Vine family.

Regards

Keith Bailey

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread