PEGLEY -Tidenham (General)

by millerfamily, Wednesday, April 07, 2010, 18:30 (5136 days ago) @ slowhands

Hi

I am interested to find out more about my Pegley and James, Forest of Dean ancestry.

My great grandmother Mary Jane James according to her birth cert., (which I have) was born 13 May 1853 at Penmoyle Terrace, Tidenham, Gloucestershire, England. Her father a husbandman was William James and her mother was Sarah James formerly Pegly.

Sarah Pegley married William James March 25 1845 - he was a widower, laborer from Bishton - father James James a farmer. Sarah Pegley was a spinster of full age, daughter of Thomas Pegley, laborer. Marriage by banns, he signed, she marked with witnesses Peter and Margaret Darby who both marked. Minister was Charles Taylor. Parish chapel at Hewelsfield.

I believe I have located Mary Jane James in the 1861 Census living at the Chepstow Workhouse, Wales
Mary A James 7 born abt. 1854 Tidenham, Gloucestershire
James James 9 born abt. 1852 Tidenham, Gloucestershire

I am unable to trace her parents in the 1861 Census but I believe I have found them in the 1851 Census living at Netherhope Lane, Tidenham, Gloucestershire
William James 57 born abt. 1794 Tidenham Agricultural Laborer
Sarah James 28 born abt. 1823 Tidenham
Alfred James 8 son. born abt. 1843 Tidenham
Louisa James 5 dau. born abt. 1846 Tidenham
James James 5 Mo son. born abt. 1850 Tidenham

I believe these 2 Census returns link the same family but I am not sure.

Diane Dix a fellow researcher has helped me with the above info(contacted through Genes Reunited. She has informed me that Sarah Pegley was baptised on 03 Dec 1820 at Tidenham and her parents were Thomas Pegley who married Sarah Bryion on 25 May 1804 at Tidenham.

Any help in taking my Pegley and James ancestry further back would be gratefully appreciated. I would also like to find out why Mary Jane and James James were in the Chepstow Workhouse and what became of their older sibling and parents.

Best wishes

Richard

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread