James GRIFFITHS/Harriet MEEK (General)

by Jenny White, Saturday, April 01, 2006, 06:07 (6620 days ago)

I wonder if someone is able to help me solve a mystery.

I have been looking for the marriage of James Griffiths to Harriet Meek for some time now. I have trawled through all the BMD's for several years both before and after the date when their first child was born and cannot find a marriage. Others also have looked for this marriage.

Harriet Meek always give her birthplace as Lea Bailey on all Census about 1846 and James Griffiths was born Ruardean. There is a baptism for James Griffiths in 1847 on the Baptist Circuit so it is possible they were non-confirmists.

James and Harriet's first child, Elizabeth was born 1868, High Beech. The couple had three more children and moved before 1881 to Hoyland Nether in Barnsley. The 1871 and 1881 census has them as husband and wife. By 1891 James and Harriet look to have separated, James is living in Wombwell, Barnsley and Harriet is housekeeper in Chesterfield. The 1891 census still shows them both declaring they are married.

On Amelia Jane Griffiths birth certificate, (James and Harriet's daughter), Harriet is shown as Harriet Griffiths formerly Meek.

On 1901 census after much searching, I have found Harriet in Chesterfield, as Harriet Meek, she says she is single and is a housekeeper. Her "husband" James Griffiths is living with his daughter Amelia Jane in Barnsley and he thinks he is still married.

Question. Do I assume this couple never married and just lived together, or that Harriet decided eventually after living apart from her "husband" for so long she would revert back to her maiden name.

If anyone could find the marriage it would clear up a mystery.

Thanks

Jenny

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread