Ruardean Congregational Chapel Memorial Inscriptions (Announce)

by admin ⌂, Forest of Dean, Sunday, May 09, 2010, 03:39 (5101 days ago)

Sent to us by May Brace

In the summer of 2009 I obtained permission from Mr. Reg Duberley to photograph and transcribe the Gravestones in Ruardean Congregational Churchyard which he and his brother now own. We decided it was best left until after the undergrowth had died down a bit to make it easier to find the gravestones, and also to wait until the ground was drier to make it safer underfoot. He gave me the old index list he had from about 1985 and which you will find in the forum thread concerning the notification to remove headstones.

When the intention to remove the headstones was published in the Forester, Steve Cooper a local FH friend was soon on the case, but when I told him that I already had permission because I was planning to do these MI personally, he left it to me. The word was now out among friends and colleagues. Because Mr Duberley wished to clear the churchyard of the headstones quickly and I had had a few offers of help, a date in March 2010 was organised.

It was a glorious early spring day and the response was amazing. On the day more workers than I expected came, with their secateurs, loppers, brushes and even a watering can to carry water from the brook to wash off the stones.

I would like to thank them all, namely:-

Wendy Ford
Steve Cooper
Eric Nicholls
Gerald and Janet Cook
Geoff Davis
David Haynes
Kevin George
John Brace

We also have some photographs of the interior of the chapel which we took when Reg Duberley gave us the guided tour recently. There will be better photographs available when the interior has been cleared out.

May Brace

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread