The Wilderness, Plump Hill (General)

by Jim Moore @, California, Saturday, April 15, 2006, 13:18 (6605 days ago) @ slowhands

Slowhands,

Thanks for the info re Lady Darri of the Wilderness.

Your comment that Henrietta Davies name was pronounced Davii may explain why the referenced 1924 letter referred to her as Lady Darri. The original 1924 letter was handwritten -- I have a typewritten copy made in 1948. It is likely that the typist (one of Joseph E. Hopkins' granddaughters) interpreted the handwritten last name to be Darri instead of Davies, Davvi, or Davii. I have already corrected a few family and place name errors in the typed letter: Colchester-Wemyss and Crump Meadow Colliery.

I created a MS Word copy of this 1924 letter and have, to date, added 26 footnotes to provide background information on the family names, relationships, place names, etc. that George S. Baggett mentions in his letter to my great uncle Joseph E. Hopkins. This letter, some postcards, two journals, and many photos were very useful when I started to research my Moore/Goode/Hopkins/Meek/Baggett/Bright/Hatton ancestors from the Forest of Dean.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread