Osman family members recorded in any parish? (General)

by robingibbs, Thursday, June 24, 2010, 18:06 (5067 days ago) @ higgsblake

Hi Nicola: George Osman is also my Great, Great, Great grand dad. My name is Charles Robin Gibbs, (I use the name Robin) my grand-dad was Charles Gibbs and he married Ethel May Osman in 1886. Her father was Richard Osman and his dad was our mutual relative George Osman.

I have been researching his wife without much hope. All I knew was that an old, old family story was that George had arrived back in England with a wife of "unknown origin."

Your message has saved me a large amount of work. Thank you.

I have a copy of the birth record of Richard Osman, their first born from a logbook kept by the Chaplain of the British garrison in Quebec City. as well as a picture of Richard Osman. If you would like them please send me your E-Mail Address.

Following are my research notes. They may be useful I hope

Source: http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin/sse.dll?db=uki1861&indiv=try&h=20871916

1861 England Census about George Osman
Name: George Osman
Estimated birth year: abt 1827
Relation: Head
Spouse's name: Louisa
Where born: Gloucestershire, England
Civil parish: Northfield
County/Island: Worcestershire
Street Address:

Condition as to marriage:

View image
Registration district: Kings Norton
Sub-registration district: Edgbaston
ED, institution, or vessel: 5
Neighbors: View others on page
Household schedule number: 90
Household Members:
Name Age
George Osman 34
Louisa Osman 34
Richard Osman 12
Emily Osman 11
Mary Osman 9
John Osman 7
Ann Osman 5
George Osman 4
Louisa Osman 11 Mo
Edward Bush 38
View
Original
Record

View original image
View blank form

King's Norton, Edgbaston

Attached is an image of the baptism of Richard Osman which occurred at the
Anglican church serving the Garrison in Quebec City in 1848.

Transcription: Richard, son of George Osman, Private ----- Second Battalion Rifle Brigade and of ===== his wife was born on the fourth day of July in the year of the Lord on thousand eight hundred and forty eight in the presence of: George Osman, Father and Godfather, Janet ------, Godmother, Witness: Richard ====== Godfather By the Chaplain to the Forces
Reference: 1848 - Quebec Garrison P.Q. Registrs Photographques au Greffe de Quebec

GEORGE OSMAN - We know he was in the 2nd. Battalion of the Rofle Brigade. They were a division of the Horse Guards. They embarked to Halifax in 1844 and stayed in Halifax until 1846. They leaft Halifax on August 1st 1946 on H.M.S. Belleisle to Montreal and stayed in Montreal until August of 1847. The 2nd Battalion continued at Montreal till August 1847 ; on the roth of which month the Head-quarter division marched to Lachine; and there embarking proceeded to Toronto. The left wing under Captain Wilkins on the I7th embarked at Lachine and proceeded to Kingston.

No event worth recording occurred in the 2nd Battalion, which continued at Toronto and Kingston with its Reserve at Quebec, until November 20; when a detachment consisting of i subaltern, 3 sergeants, 2 buglers, and 80 rank and file proceeded from Toronto for Mina bay, under the command of Captain Cooper, with the object of quelling disturbances at the Bruce mines.
The eventful history of this detachment cannot better be given than in the words of a letter addressed by Captain Cooper (now Sir Astley Paston Cooper, Bart.) to the AssistantAdjutant-General at Kingston:—

By an order from the Horse Guards dated February 6,1850, the Reserve Battalion of the 2nd Battalion was to be done away; and the 2nd Battalion and Reserve, of six companies each, were from April i to be absorbed into one Battalion of ten companies. The officers (i Lieutenant-Colonel, 2 Captains, 2 First Lieutenants, 2 Second Lieutenants and an Adjutant), who thus became supernumerary, were retained en second, until vacancies occurred. Pursuant to this arrangement the six companies which formed the Reserve Battalion left Quebec, where they had been stationed since their formation in August 1846, and proceeded to Kingston in two divisions ; the first, consisting of three companies under Major Norcott, leaving Quebec on May I, and arriving at Kingston on the 3rd ; the remaining three companies leaving on the 8th, and arriving on the nth.
1 Not the steam Troop-ship of that name ; but a sailing Barque.
The 2nd Battalion itself left Toronto, where it had been quartered since August 1847, in two divisions on May 22 and 24, arriving at Kingston on the following days respectively. Thus the Battalion and its Reserve were amalgamated ; and at Kingston reunited into one Battalion.

http://books.google.ca/books?id=_9-gAAAAMAAJ&pg=PA266&dq=2nd+battalion+of+rifle...

View Record
Louisa Osman George abt 1827 United States Wife Northfield, Worcestershire

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread