Joseph MERRY - Plump Hill info (General)

by slowhands @, proud of his ancient Dean Forest roots, Saturday, July 10, 2010, 21:31 (5031 days ago) @ john lumb

Plump ( Hill) is a piece of higher ground on the road between Mitcheldean and Nailbridge. The is a settlement there and a quarry or two .

One may have been the small isolated farmhouse west of Plump hill which Thomas Crawley-Boevey granted under lease to Giles Loquier in 1729. The farmhouse, part of the Colchester family's estates from 1749, (fn. 16) became known as Loquiers Farm (fn. 17) arid by 1840 a barn had been built to the east in a detached part of Newland parish where the farmland lay. (fn. 18) In the 1780s there were apparently three cottages at the bottom of Plump hill, south-west of Mitcheldean. (fn. 19) By 1832 the number of dwellings in the hamlet of Plump hill had risen to c. 32, (fn. 20) and the development of Westbury Brook mine and other industrial activity stimulated more random building there later in the century. (fn. 21) Some new buildings faced the Mitcheldean-Coleford road, constructed over the hill in 1841. (fn. 22) One of the first, half way up the hill, was a beerhouse in 1851. (fn. 23) Later called the Point inn, it was demolished during road improvement after 1960. (fn. 24) Higher up the road a pair of small houses was built in 1876 by the quarrymaster Aaron Simmonds. (fn. 25) Much further along the road on Merring Meend a pair of houses built near Fairplay mine in 1856 (fn. 26) was later converted as four cottages. (fn. 27) Most houses built at Plump Hill in the 20th century were on the lower part of the hill. Cottages dotting the steep wooded hillsides further south, near Abenhall, include an early group in Horsepool bottom. (fn. 28)

From: 'Forest of Dean: Settlement', A History of the County of Gloucester: Volume 5: Bledisloe Hundred, St. Briavels Hundred, The Forest of Dean (1996), pp. 300-325. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=23266 Date accessed: 10 July 2010.

--
Ἀριστοτέλης A Gloster Boy in the Forest of Dean ><((((*>

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread