Fears in Lydbrook (General)

by May @, Wednesday, April 26, 2006, 12:41 (6594 days ago) @ Andy

In your reference to Gwalia in your last post you have the right family.

Walter was Reginald's father, and I have been brought a note this afternoon (from a friend of a friend of my husband's) to say:- " Reginald married twice: Reginald had Harvey and Hilda with his first wife and another daughter (Miriam?) and Peter with his second wife: Reginald was a Master Baker and he had apprentices at the Lydbrook bakehouse". I've also been told today that the bread and cakes he made were delicious.

Isn't the Forest "telegraph" wonderful. I only asked the question this morning.

Harvey, the eldest, was in the forces at the end of the war. He had a bakers/cafe just a few doors from the Gwalia shop you mentioned in Ross, and the "Top Spot" which he built was behind the bakery/cafe, in Kyrle Street. Harvey was a staunch member of the Lydbrook Local History group from its beginning and you might like to write to them as I'm told they probably have pictures etc. of the Lydbrook Bakery and Petrol Pump which was down by the road junction at the bottom of Lydbrook, near the river. Harvey died only a few years ago.

Hilda, I am told, is recently widowed but still living in the Forest area. I met her a couple of times in the shop when I was the Worrall Hill postmistress.

Pete, the youngest of Reg's children, has also died, but only a few months ago. Pete was into car rallying and did own the Gwalia Stores Ross and a Van Hire business also. His widow lives in the Ross area.

As you will know, it is not good etiquette to discuss people's living relatives on the net but this should be enough info to kick start your search. Perhaps a general enquiry letter to the local newspapers will produce the contact you want. The Forest and Wye Valley Review, is a free paper distributed in Ross as well as the Forest and does carry such items.

My husband knew both Harvey and Pete, so we are interested in how this turns out so please drop us a line sometime (off list).

May

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread