Barzillai MEEK - Marriage in Ruardean Church - question (General)

by Jenny White, Thursday, April 27, 2006, 21:56 (6584 days ago)

Hi

I have just received the marriage certificate of Barzillai MEEK and Hannah COWMEADOW. This is Barzillai's second marriage, his first wife Elizabeth having died.

The certificate is very strange in that the information it contains is minimal in the extreme. The marriage took place on 4 Sept 1842 and was solemnized at Ruardean Church in the parish of Ruardean. The bride and groom were "of age", Barzillai was a widower and a labourer and Hannah a spinster. Place of residence was "The Forest of Dean". Neither the bride or groom's fathers are mentioned.

The couple were married according to the rites of the established church of England by Henry FORMBY.

There are no signatures, marks, in fact nothing at all is written, in the section where the bride and groom ususally sign their name (it is totally blank) . Similarly, there is nothing at all in the section where the witnesses usually sign their names.

I have looked through the marriages for Ruardean in the Parish Records section of the site and found this particular marriage. There is no more information to be had there though.

The certificate looks to be a photocopy and is not a typed version.

Anyone have any ideas as to what happened?

Jenny

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread