BMD Stuff - may help with Thomas (General)

by Andrew Walford, South Wales, Monday, May 08, 2006, 12:07 (6564 days ago) @ Carol Walsh

Hello Carol,

I believe Michael Gwilliam may be right in that Martha Williams and Martha Walford are the same person.

In my records I have the following:-

1871 Census Lydbrook Hill

Martha Walford 59 widow Home Duties born Kidderminster
Frederick Walford 23 son Coal Worker born Lydbrook

If you look at the 1851 census that Mike supplied including Albert Williams and replace the surname Williams with Walford then you surely have the same family.

As I mentioned in my earlier message Richard Walford and Mary Coley had a daughter Martha c 1812. They also had a son William Walford 1814(my greatx3 grandfather) when William married his second wife in 1867 at Lydbrook a witness was Martha Walford.
When Mary Walford 1819 the daughter of Richard Walford married at Ruardean in 1852 a witness was Martha Walford. This suggests that Martha 1812 also moved to Lydbrook.
Another son of Richard and Mary also moved to Lydbrook his name was Thomas Walford who was a tailor as was his father Richard Walford. Thomas was married to Charlotte on the 1841 census and Elizabeth 1851, 1861. There's no sign of him marrying a Martha.
Mike Gwilliam mentioned a Martha Walford died in 1878 at Lydbrook, she would be the correct age to be Martha c1812 .
Is it not possible that Martha Walford 1812 married a Thomas Williams and reverted to Walford for whatever reason after being a widow, her children also changing surnames to their mother's name of Walford.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread