Sarah MORGAN born Forest of Dean1857 (General)

by gtaylorwigan, Sunday, December 12, 2010, 17:10 (4856 days ago)

I am hoping some kind member of FODFH Society can help with their local knowledge. I am researching my g/grandmother Sarah MORGAN bn 1857 in the Forest of Dean. She married aged 21 in 1878 to Isaac Fletcher TAYLOR in Wigan, Lancs and stayed in Lancashire until her death in 1930.

I am trying to fill in the early years up to her moving to Wigan. The 1891 census states she was born in Newland and the 1901 says Coleford. The only matching entry on the GRO index is March qtr 1857 ref: 11a 30. I have obtained the birth cert and it states Reg District Monmouth, Sub district Coleford, bn 5 March 1857 in Redbrook, father Thomas (ag lab), mother Mary (nee POWELL.)

I have checked your Parish Records online but there is no sign of a baptism or marriage for her parents.

On the 1861 census the only Sarah at the right age is living in Pillowell but her parents are Thomas and Sarah not Mary. On the 1871 census there is still no sign of her family but there is a Sarah aged 14 living in St. Briavel, she is a servant for an elderly lady.

Was there a chapel in Redbrook or would she have been baptised in Newland ??. Without the right Parish records I will not be able to find her siblings or pin down the 61 and 71 Census records for her and her parents presuming they were still alive.

I visited the Forest of Dean years ago on the way to a holiday in Wales. It is a lovely area and in 2010 begs the question of why did she move to industrial Lancashire. In the 1870's they obviously moved for the work available, not the scenery.

Any help would be gratefully received, thank you.

Graham Taylor

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread