Seeking Help in Old newspaper Archives (General)

by Ray Davies @, Bristol, Friday, May 26, 2006, 04:50 (6547 days ago) @ Barb Dias

After many phone calls I have found something. Starting with the Newport library they did a search and rang me the next day after finding nothing. The same with Gwent Record Office who had large gaps in the keeping of coroners inquest reports and 1924 was in a gap. Then to the coroners office who do not keep records as far back as that. Gwent RO did say that Monmouth Museum had started a filing system of local events but I had no reply to my call. I then tried Newport Register Office to see if there was a death certificate but no entry around that date. They did however say that Welsh Bicknor, although once upon a time was in Monmouthshire, is in Herefordshire, so I turned my attention to that county. Their Record Office once again did not have inquest reports but I have asked them to search the newspapers and they are coming back to me on that. Ross on Wye has a Register Office which operates 3 days a week for about 2 hours and in a recorded message they provided a fax number and so I sent them one. Today I have had an email from the Registrar saying that they do have an entry for that date, and if you wish I can obtain a copy of the death certificate for which the fee is £7 plus postage. Should you wish me to go ahead I can get one but I will require reimbursement.
I shall let you know if Hereford RO find a newspaper entry. Cheers Ray

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread