Thomas DAVIES 1860 Lydbrook (General)

by jimashton @, Thursday, March 03, 2011, 15:29 (4805 days ago) @ slowhands

Slowhands - I must apologise that I missed this entry and your question to me in July 2007.

I have often thought that the two spellings Davies and Davies is a real nuisance from a Family History viewpoint causing you to miss things, I have in my Family Tree 123 Davies and 76 Davis but cannot bring myself to merge them as one spelling!!

It is a 95% plus certainty that if the surname is Marfell, they are related to me. Hannah Marfell 1828 was my Great Great Great Aunt. She did indeed marry Joseph Davies and they had 7 children including Miles 1858.

I am afraid I do not agree with some of your findings, albeit that some are an indication of a connection rather than specific inferences. I would hesitate to say that my version is correct, but feel I should spell out "my version" some of which is indisputable, and let others decide what they wish to use.

Annie Bertha Parsons 1871 daughter of Joseph Parsons & Priscilla Trigg married Thomas Meek 1872 Sep qtr 1902 Westbury S. 6a 589. I have a gravestone image, he died 29 Sep 1913, she died 14 Jul 1944. I do not know the parents of Bertha Annie Parsons 1861 who married Thomas Watkins in Ross district 1889. The Thomas Watkins is related to me and I would be interested in knowing who her parents were.

The Thomas Davis 1860 & Elizabeth 1864 shown in the 1891 & 1901 Census Reddings is not as could be inferred the son of Joseph Davis & Hannah nee Marfell. He is Thomas George Davies born 3 Nov 1861, son of Joseph Thomas Davies and Matilda Holford - I have his birth and marriage certificate. He married Elizabeth Mason 1863 Moorwood on 6 Dec 188/0 Register Office, Westbury on Severn.

My main interest here was their daughter Beatrice Elizabeth Davies born 26 Jan 1883 - I have her birth, marriage & death certificate. She married George Thomas Trump born 22 Sep 1879, son of Thomas Trump born 30 May 1855 and Dora Read born 11 Sep 1859 - birth, marriage & death certificates. Dora Read was the daughter of William Read 1839 and Selina Marfell 28 Oct 1839. George Trump & Dora nee Read Emigrated to LaSalle IL. USA 1893 George came to America with an Oliver Turner - his cousin per ship manifest arriving New York 24.10.1904 ship Celtic. Oilver was coming to his brother Samuel, George to his father Thomas - see my picture of Oliver shown on Ed Molls Bar picture - http://www.forest-of-dean.net/gallery/fod_variety_1/pages/page_8.html
See also the Ruardean Shooting story http://www.forest-of-dean.net/downloads/Stories_Articles/Shooting_at_Ruardean_Woodside.pdf

As ever when following a thread involving Slowhands, I gain some snippets of information - sometimes as in this case, significant :

The last entry on the thread concerns the family of Elizabeth Mason 1863, who I mentioned earlier. Previously the only thing I knew about her was that her father was Joseph Mason, following this part of the thread, I realised that I had William Mason 1796/1848 & Sarah Williams 1799 and their descendants in my Family Tree. I won't bore you with the detail, but if you go back 3 generations from William Mason 1796 you - of course - get to a Marfell !! So Elizabeth Mason goes from being related only by marriage to the intimate relationship of 7th cousin twice removed.

Jim Ashton

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread