Catherine LEAHY b. 1844 at Clifton, Bristol (General)

by admin ⌂, Forest of Dean, Thursday, March 03, 2011, 21:31 (4804 days ago) @ admin

For the benefit of others who maybe researching the same ancestral line as myself, this is an update of information which was supplied to me by Jane who I share the common ancestors of Joseph WATKINS to Elizabeth Frances MILLS with.

Elizabeth was the daughter of William MILLS and Catherine LEAHY. (She was probably named in memory of Williams first wife, Elizabeth Frances MORGAN who was born in 1828 at St. Georges, Gloucestershire. She was baptised on the 1st of June 1828 at St. Augustine the Less, Bristol, Gloucestershire. They were married at St. Andrews, Clifton, Bristol on the 5th of April 1847 and she died about 1862).

In the 1861 census William is living with Elizabeth at 5b Burtons Court, Clifton, Bristol. Living at 5a Burtons Court is a Catherine LEAHY and her sister Mary A LEAHY. FreeBMD records a marriage between a William MILLS and Catherine LEAHY in Dec 1864 at Bristol Vol 6a Page 44. The marriage took place on the 27th of December 1864 at St. James Church, Bristol and the parish record shows Catherines father as William LEAHY.

There is a parish record which I believe to be that of Catherine recording her baptism on the 22 September 1844 at Clifton, Gloucestershire In the name of Catharina LEE, date of birth 4th September 1844, father Gulielmi LEE and mother Annae SHENGUIN. Another parish record shows a marriage between Gulielmus LEA and Anna SHENGUIN in 1826 at St. Joseph's Catholic Church, Clifton, Gloucestershire, (England and Wales Marriages, 1538-1940 at Ancestry also shows this information and gives the date as 4th of April 1826). I have also found a parish record for a Joseph LANE born 5th March 1834, baptised 23 March 1834 at Clifton. Gloucestershire, father Gulielmi Lane, mother Annae SHENQUIN.

The discrepancies in surname is most likely caused by a combination of factors ...... illiteracy, pronunciation, and the misunderstanding of local dialects all being possible reasons. However it would seem likely that this is (the same person as) Catherine LAY

The information was found at Ancestry. co. uk and the following sites/ links.

http://www.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/search.pl

https://www.familysearch.org/

Perhaps you may like to consider this information. It would be nice to think that I may have been of some help to you, if on the other hand it is totally wrong I would be most grateful to know.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread