Tingles of Littledean (General)

by lindabull @, Friday, June 17, 2011, 21:06 (4689 days ago) @ jmay

Hello jmay, It may be absolutely nothing to do with your research but I was looking at a website today relating to a canal port near where I live in Derbyshire. I came upon this refernce to a Robert Tingle who was born in Littledean in 1763 who was a boatbuilder

"Robert (Bobby) Tingle, Wood and Tingle
We believe that Robert Tingle was born in Little Dean in the forest of Dean overlooking the Severn Estuary, 18 December 1763. We know that he was not from Shardlow as he was listed as a non-parishioner and his 2 eldest children are Elizabeth and William as are the parents of the Robert Tingle in Little Dean.

We surmise he may have come to the village as an apprentice or worker to Benjamin Clifford boatbuilder of Shardlow, as Robert married Rebecca Clifford 1 June 1794.

In 1798/9 in the assessment of duties list Robert is a poor inhabitant not assessed, with a house of 4 windows.

By 1816 they had 8 children. Robert died in 1832? The Tingle family lived at Wilne in part of the house now known as Tudor Cottage, which was owned by the Burgin family"

here is a link to the site.

http://homepages.which.net/~shardlow.heritage/shwpbuild.htm

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread