TINGLE (Probate) + Cinderford Baptist Church (General)

by Jefff @, West London, Middlesex, Monday, July 11, 2011, 11:53 (4644 days ago) @ jmay

Yes thats a very interesting history. I was born and broughtup in Cinderford 1962 onwards but as part of a churchgoing C of E family (St Stephens) that was the only religion I knew including all my cousin's marriages etc across Glostershire. RE was "just" C of E Bible Study in my schooldays at Bilson then RFDGS at Berry Hill, always thought it wrong not to learn about "other" Religions as they do nowadays. T'was only when I met a RC girl from Banbury I started learning about other variations of Christianity, my mother was so worried about what the wedding service might be like, although it was no different really than her usual C of Es. When I first found this great site my gob was well n truly smacked when I saw the huge long list of non CoE Churches in the Forest, now I've learnt why which is great.

Interesting you say about using the Baptist Chapel while at EDGS, no doubt my mum did too in her days there in the 40s. I always enjoyed our Christmas walks from Bilson School up the Lane to the Chapel for our annual Carol Concerts, a really special part of the fun buildup to Christmas for me. It seemed a huge place, especially if up high on the balcony. Yet in latter years as I'd got bigger walking past the building it seems so small from the front. That said, I guess its no different to the famous London West End Theatres I've visited since living up here, all have very narrow street frontage yet seat 1000+, you can almost walk past the great Palladium for example without noticing it !.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread