Samuel Preest, Gentleman about 1841 (General)

by Jefff @, West London, Middlesex, Thursday, August 04, 2011, 21:01 (4641 days ago) @ normanelkins

Hi Norman,
a quick Google thro this up, it appears he was a mine owner ?.

"Skinners Garden
30 August 1842 to Samuel Preest, William Preest and Isaac Preest, all of Bream Woodside, for a pit in equal undivided parts situate at Skinners Garden, near Brookall Ditch, about 100 yards from Russell's Inclosure fence and near the ditch which runs to Park End Furnaces to get the coal from the Coleford High Delf and all unalloted veins above it.

F3 536
2 September 1887 Grantley Preest, Louise Preest, both of Bream, and James James, solicitor of Lydney representatives of Samuel Preest. Time for opening gale, granted July 1882, had expired.

8 July 1891 deakin applying for grant of land near Castlemain Pits for use in connection with Skinners Garden 'Will be required for sidings when our arrangements are complete for developing the deep-gales'. Land behind Parkend House. To be used as grazing land for ponies meanwhile.

13 December 1897 Not commenced working.
Gale was bought in an attempt to gain large area of deep gales 'some thousands of pounds' spent. Effort not successful and we relinquish other gales.

To be surrendered 30 August 1898, postponed until 25 November."

As you may know this doc is from the Lightmoor Press website who speciallise in FoD local History books.

www.lightmoor.co.uk/forestcoal/CoalSkinners.html

see www.lightmoor.co.uk

Sorry no more time now myself but I suspect others here will help further.
ATB Jeff.

ps thought he might be mentioned in the great Sungreen Old Photos site. Sadly no photos but it does have copies of Bream Parish Magazines from the period which have Baptism "notices" for children of a Samuel Preest which all makes interesting reading.
http://www.sungreen.co.uk/Sungreen-Search.htm

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread