William Pewtner (General)

by Joss O\'Kelly, Sunday, July 09, 2006, 13:11 (6509 days ago) @ bertha

Thanks Bertha for this.
I have identified these as follows:
Father William Pewtner (born in Whitchurch, Herefordshire, along with numerous siblings including my ggg grandfather) was married to Elizabeth Wilce (m 9 Jun 1857).
Elizabeth Mary was 3 and not 33 according to BMD entry for her (Ross 6a p 442 Jun ¼ 1861). Without the grave info I wouldn't have known she belonged to this family.
Esaias appears on censuses as a coal miner b 1858 according to BMD. I wonder what he died of - was there an accident of some sort?
There was at least one other brother, George William b approx 1863, also a miner, appears on 1871 and 1881 in Ruardean with variant spellings (Putvin & Pewtur) and if I’ve got it right is on the Essex census for 1891.
I’m sure there must have been other children as everyone had lots in those days, but so far they haven’t come out of the woodwork. And I wonder why mother Elizabeth wasn’t buried with them? She could be the EP in the Ruardean burials for 1889, although her age doesn’t quite fit census info.

Re the inscription, I can’t make it out so far either on the photo you kindly sent (though will see if the wonders of Photoshop can help!).
Tried googling it and the nearest is a hymn by Fanny (Frances) Jane Crosby, 1820-1915 which goes:
All the way my saviour leads me; What have I to ask beside?
Can I doubt His tender mercy, Who thro' life has been my guide?
Heav'nly peace divinest comfort, Here by faith in Him to dwell!
For I know whate'er befall me, Jesus doeth all things well.

Joss

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread