Pan Tod Miners Memorial, Ruardean Hill (General)

by Jefff @, West London, Middlesex, Tuesday, November 22, 2011, 01:48 (4540 days ago) @ cmfenton

Thanks to you all for your replies.
I'm particularly impressed wrt the detail of the collier's sad deaths. "My" Leslie Jones is not the one listed as I had thought.
Please is anyone willing to share the source, would this be on the Roll Of Honour CD I've heard about (via this forum, of course!). I did see the book in Cinderford Library last month but I don't recall any added detail beyond the lists of names ?.

Re the meaning of the name, thanks yet again "slow"hands for pointing me towards two "new" (for me) reference lists of local mines, but neither gave any extra detail and they even differed whether it was a coal or iron mine. This name doesn't appear on the C19th century references, clearly its a very old mine indeed. Websearching Pantod shows it in several foreign languages including Greek, sadly I know not their meaning. One website which deeply analyses the words of the Old Testament, while attempting to define God's "Spirit", makes references to classical scholars such as Plato and Socrates:

"Word or Wisdom of God, personified as his agent in creation and world-government, ho pantod unamossou"

I'm afraid my school dropped Latin in my second year in 73, so ??...

Finally, re the vandallism, yes I noticed that while first Googling the subject, very sad indeed. I abhor such criminality, I hear recently of graves & monuments recently being desecrated for socalled "scrap" metal, disgusting.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-15704549
Unfortunately and as much as I enjoy the modern world and particularly technology I must say my views re upholding law & order have always been somewhat medieval ! Then again sadly it seems the internet, which I love, perhaps in some geography and news related sites inadvertantly assists the efforts of such heartless people, yet another misuse of an excellent resource.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread