Hyatt surname to Hyatt Cox, can anyone help (General)

by Jefff @, West London, Middlesex, Saturday, November 26, 2011, 00:26 (4532 days ago) @ unknown

Hi Jacqui,
welcome to this wonderfull site and forum.
First, don't know if you've tried searching this site's HUGE database of parish records yet. From that I can see these possible Baptisms for your G-G-Grandfather;

Record_ID: 89536
Entry_Number: 295
Year: 1835
Month: Feb
Day: 13
Parents_Surname: HYETT
Child_Forenames: William
Fathers_Forenames: William
Mothers_Forenames: Margaret
Mothers_Surname:
Residence: Huntley
Officiating_Minister: John Morse rector
Event: Baptism
Memoranda:
Notes:
Register_Reference: P184 IN 1/3
Page_Number: 39
Parish_Chapel: Huntley
Soundex: H300

or probably less likely ?

Record_ID: 137325
Entry_Number: 221
Year: 1831
Month: Apr
Day: 1
Parents_Surname: HYETT
Child_Forenames: William
Fathers_Forenames: James
Mothers_Forenames: Esther
Mothers_Surname:
Residence: Baldwyns Oak
Officiating_Minister: J Archibald
Event: Baptism
Memoranda:
Notes:
Register_Reference: P225 IN1/5
Page_Number: 28
Parish_Chapel: Newent
Soundex: H300

As you probably know Harry Hill (nowadays called Harrow Hill) is between Cinderford and Huntley albeit rather nearer Cinderford. Newent's a fair way away t'other side of Huntley so probably not relevant here.
You mentioned Westbury On Severn, I could be wrong but I doubt the House was actually there. This is slightly misleading as W-O-S was merely the official registration centre/town for the Forest's Records, but in truth it is just outside of the Forest "proper". The other local Registration area was Monmouth on the opposite edge of the Forest.

The only PRs for William Hyett(any spelling) I can see in Cinderford are 50 years later.

Re James Cox, assuming he was married to Mary, the most likely Marriage Record assuming its a few generations after 1833 seems to be:

Record ID 4757
Entry Number 222
Year 1875
Month Dec
Day 25
Grooms Surname COX
Grooms Forenames James
Grooms Age 30
Groom Condition Bachelor
Grooms Occupation Coal Miner
Grooms Residence Bilson
Grooms Fathers Surname Cox
Grooms Fathers Forenames William
Grooms Fathers Occupation Labourer
Brides Surname JONES
Brides Forenames Mary Ann
Brides Age 30
Brides Condition Spinster
Brides Occupation [not stated]
Brides Residence Drybrook
Brides Fathers Surname Jones
Brides Fathers Forenames John
Brides Fathers Occupation Quarry man
Licence or Banns Banns
Date of Banns [not stated]
Signature or Mark He marks she signs
Witness 1 Hubert J. Jones
Witness 2 Celia Ann Cox
Other Witnesses
Officiating Minister William Barker Vicar
Event Marriage
Memoranda
Notes
Register Reference P109 IN 1/7
Page Number 111
Parish Chapel Drybrook

Now, Drybrook is literally next to Harry Hill. Bilson (where I was born & grew-up, coincidentally) is what is now lower Cinderford. There were a lot of coal mines between these places and there is still a very large quarry at Drybrook, sorry if you already knew this !. In those days and much later it was quite normal for colliers etc to walk several miles a day to & from work.
So until you tell me differently it seems to tie up reasonably well...

Anyhow hopefully you will search the PRs yourself and find your ancestors.

Finally, I hope Neil Felton sees your message. However I suggest you also send him a private message from this forum direct into his email inbox, as I have just done to you. I say this as he doesnt seem to be a regular forum visitor and may not see your message. For members who have been active their forum name appears blue, as does Neil's. If you click on the name it hyperlinks to a useful page that tells you how often he's visited etc.

There's also an email contact page to use which I recommend. If you want to exchange personal details etc then please use that system, if you read the FAQ section of this site you'll see why this is wise.

Hope this all helps and good luck with your researches. As well as the PRs please take the time to study the rest of this site, there's a wealth of interesting information including old photos, wills & inquests, newspaper clippings, E-books, maps of the area, etc etc.
eg this map shows "your" area. Huntley is just off the map past Micheldean.
http://www.forest-of-dean.net/joomla/the-forest-of-dean/maps-of-the-forest

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread