FROWEN FAMILY - NEWLAND, GLOS. (General)

by alvic25 @, Friday, January 27, 2012, 21:57 (4465 days ago)

Would anyone know any details of Courtney Frowen, birth date & parents names are unknown.Probably born in Newland in the 1850's. He had been a miner at the Waterloo pit at Brierley, whilst serving in the Militia (Coleford Rifle Volunteers). He became a Lance Corporal in the 24th Regiment (South Wales Borderers) & died at Rorkes Drift during the Zulu War in March 1879. I have a birth certificate to a John Prosser, born in 1858, who was killed in the preceding battle in January 1879 & it states that his mother was Martha Frowen from Newland, Glos, born 1820/21. John was born in Abersychan, Mon., but the family had previously lived in Rockfield, where his father, Thomas Prosser came from. Not long before 1871 the family moved to Mountain Ash.
I believe that Martha Frowen was the Aunt of Courtney Frowen, but would like to find out more about this. Martha was probably the eldest daughter of Ann & ????? Frowen. Ann was born in 1794 at Newland & her other children were Elizabeth b. 1823, James, 1828, Henry, b1829, Harriet,1830 & Ann 1838. Maybe Courtney Frowen was a child of James, just mentioned? I would be very grateful for any information on this.
Regards
Rob

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread