Rebekah and Jane CHIVERS 1784 / 1788 Timsbury SOM (General)

by ajd1 @, Thursday, March 01, 2012, 19:47 (4449 days ago) @ cmfenton

Sorry to drag up an old thread but it popped up on a search.

I can add a little more to the children of Josiah and Charity Chivers, based on info in FreeReg.org.uk, UK census, and the invaluable baptism, marriage and burial records here, plus the odd family document. Chapter and verse upon request.

Rebekah, bap 1 May 1785 St Mary's Timsbury. Married John Dayer (born in Ross 1778), cordwainer (shoe maker), in Dixton Newton 9 Apr 1822. One son, William, bap 25 Mar 1823 in Ross.

John Dayer died in 1826 and was buried in Ross 27 Sep 1826 aged 47. Living in Arthurs' Lane (aka Dean Hill St & Old Gloucester Road), Ross.

Rebekah married again to Anthony Jones from Michael Troy, 12 Sep 1830, St Mary de Lode, Gloucester. In 1841 and 1851, Anthony descibes himself as a gentleman. They lived in Dean Hill Street, Ross. Rebekah was buried in Ross 5 Dec 1851 aged 67 and Anthony 12 Mar 1852 aged 74.

Jane Chivers, bap 27 Apr 1788, married Benjamin Andrews 17 Oct 1815 in Ross. Benjamin was a blacksmith and occasional gunsmith (baptism records of children) and was the son of Benjamin Andrews and Mary Dayer, a cousin of John Dayer (above). Rebekah Chivers was a witness at the wedding. They had at least 7 children.

In 1841, they were in Chelteham with Benjamin being a blacksmith with William Dayer, Rebekah's son as apprentice. In 1851, they were in Coventry. I haven't tracked them further.

William Dayer became a whitesmith in Ross and married Sarah Robinson, daughter of John Robinson (timber merchant) of Gloucester and Fanny Weaver of Lydbrook. They had six children, moved to London and did well in the dairy business. William and Sarah are my GG Granparents

In another thread, http://www.forum.forest-of-dean.net/index.php?mode=thread&id=18664, there is mention of a Zilpha Chivers, b 1808, daughter of Joseph and Amelia. Although the dates are too far out and the spelling different (not that that should be an impediment in genealogical matters), I wonder if there is a link (cousin?) with Josiah and Charity's last daughter, Zibrah bap 3 Apr 1791 Timsbury. I have no other record of her.

Can anyone can shine any light on Zibrah or otherwise when and where the Chivers family came to the forest?

Andrew

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread