COLLINS family of Upper Lydbrook (General)

by John Hardy @, Sunday, July 30, 2006, 15:58 (6507 days ago)

My mother's maiden name was Collins and I have been researching ancestors in that branch of my family. The family has lived in the region of Upper Lydbrook since 1800 at least. (Two second cousins live there to this day -- but aren't internet connected.) My great grandfather was James Collins (1821-1870) who was married to Prudence Harris (1826-after 1901). They were "Primative Methodists." I find the census records for this family to be very hit and miss, and birth records for their 8 children seem equally spotty. I can find no registered birth records for four of them (including my grandfather, Isaac) although later censuses, when the family appears at all, show that these children existed.

Were the censuses in the Forest of Dean less complete than in other parts of England at that time? (I don't have nearly as many misses for other branches of my family in different parts of England.) Or is it possible that "Primative Methodists" resisted formal registration of births, and perhaps avoided the census taker? I'd appreciate any information that you can give me.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread