David WATKINS - Thanksgiving Eulogy (Announce)

by slowhands @, proud of his ancient Dean Forest roots, Friday, June 29, 2012, 08:11 (4291 days ago) @ slowhands

[image]

"we" organised a Service of Thanksgiving for Dave in the Forest on Saturday July 14th 2012 12:00 St Johns Ruardean

David, Graham, May, Michael and Slowhands

Thank You a Eulogy about Dave

It is a privilege to be stood here as a friend and at the same time a little daunting.

David, however you knew him - as a loved Brother, Father, Grand Father, Husband, Cousin, Friend or maybe just "Admin". It is a reflection on Dave’s quiet willingness to help others that many have expressed surprise at the deep respect and admiration that we share for Dave.

So how can I put into words the life of a man like David Watkins? He was a man whose influence literally reached around the world. He was a legend in his field of interest "Family and Social history", centred on two foci Watkins and the Forest of Dean. If there is anywhere on this planet that those two come together it is in this village of Ruardean. Dave was the heart and soul behind our virtual meeting place, the name behind much research and many discovered connections.

Now this isn't news to anyone in this room, but Dave was special. Dave was one of a kind. He had many special skills. Technical - yes the Watkins and Forest of Dean web sites are there for all to see. Inspirational - I have mentioned his willingness to help and give his time and experience to anonymous people across the globe, sharing his enthusiasm for Family History. It was infectious, as simple as that, being nurtured by Dave was such a subtle experience; it’s only on reflection that you realise.

That nurturing helped build a loyal team of supporters and helpers, a number of you are here today. He made you feel like you and your question were the most important in the world.

His most impressive skill was his ability to not be in the spotlight. There are few people I've ever met who truly deserved the heat from that shining light as much as Dave, but he never let it shine on him long enough to feel the warmth. I believe that Dave just wasn't concerned about “Dave”. He wanted to help you….. and if he couldn't, he knew a team who probably could.

So how do you put into words the life of a man like David Watkins? I think the words that sum up his life the best are the words that probably meant the most to him. Words we've all said or written countless times.

No not "Have a Good day" but the words "Thank you."

And we all have a lot of reasons to say it today.

Thank you Dave for changing every life you helped directly or indirectly.
Thank you for inspiring us to help others.
Thank you for making us feel important.
Thank you for listening to our questions and stories.
And most importantly, thank you for letting us be a part of your life.

One Forest researcher has written to me, I’d like to quote her words - “In addition to being a very kind gentleman, at least in his dealings with me, I am very grateful to him (and the rest of you kind folks) for not only helping me progress with my family tree research, but also giving me something to hold on to, something to focus on, when I felt as if I were truly lost. “

Another wrote “David’s spirit will live on and you will have many precious memories of him to treasure. Sleep well David, thank you and God Bless You.”

In a long overdue act of gratitude, I'd like you to join me in saying a thank you for our dear friend David Watkins. It's time he takes his moment in the spotlight he's deserved it for so long.

Thank you Dave.

We miss you. God Bless you

And as you would say "Have a good day"

--
Ἀριστοτέλης A Gloster Boy in the Forest of Dean ><((((*>

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread