Dorothy Hale at 1913 Lydney wedding. (General)

by Jefff @, West London, Middlesex, Saturday, October 13, 2012, 20:24 (4211 days ago) @ peteressex

Hi Peter,
I only found the Hale website last year and have never tried to contact it, just used it for researching one of my lines (Lydbrook Hales, not Lydney). Whether they monitor and possibly react to messages left I don't know; personally I would think they might do given the sheer effort producing the site. I would certainly leave a message just in case if it still permits.

That said, I've tried Googling "Glyn Hale Stroud" and one of the hits gives his Struud phone number albeit way back in 1997, quite possibly no use now but surely worth a polite call ?. I have emailed you & Slowhands direct to avoid reproducing it here.
However it's also led to this interesting FH website for North Nibley area
http://members.shaw.ca/panthers1/Tortworth.html

This site page contains a post by Glyn listing his websites, one about music teacher Gill Hale (his wife ?), this contains contact details which are hopefully uptodate.

Failing all that perhaps a letter to the local paper will succeed.
http://www.stroudnewsandjournal.co.uk/

Thanks Peter for pointing me towards the photo and the accompanying story. What a wedding weekend that was for your family, poor Flossie ! I do hope you can discover more about Dorothy, it does sound possible she is the same girl you mention above but I suspect the name isn't that rare in the area ?

Searching the 1911 Census gives, of course, a few possibles but this is the most likely I think alto the lass in the photo looks older than 14 to me ?. I recommend you browse the options via the free access Ancestry site yourself, this one is actually listed under the 1911 Wales Census.

8 rooms residence at "Dinglethorpe" Lydney;

Joseph Hale Head abt 1864 47 Male Married 23 yrs Sinplate Roller At R B Thomast Works Lta Norlbaiage Gloucestershire England
Elizabeth Hale Wife abt 1868 43 Female Married 23 yrs Housewife Harrout Hill Gloucestershire England
George Hale Son abt 1890 21 Male Single Simekeeper Harrout Hill Gloucestershire England
Frank Hale Son abt 1892 19 Male Single Baker At Weaitans Harrout Hill Gloucestershire England
Lilian Kate Hale Daughter abt 1895 16 Female Single Domestie Harrout Hill Gloucestershire England
Dorothy Ida Hale Daughter abt 1899 12 Female School Lydney Gloucestershire England Dinglethorpe Lydney
Joseph William Hale Son abt 1904 7 Male School Lydney Gloucestershire England
Elizabeth Florence Hale Daughter abt 1905 6 Female School Lydney Gloucestershire England
Fred Stanley Hale Son abt 1906 5 Male School Lydney Gloucestershire

IF I was paying an Ancestry subscription I would write to them about this interesting transcription, the Census form is very well written by clearly an educated hand and carries much interesting info, yet ??....
You may like to correct if for them.

http://search.ancestry.co.uk/iexec?htx=view&r=5538&dbid=2353&iid=RG14_31711...

I see Joseph Hale was born at Nailbridge, home of wellknown Builders Merchants, I can still recall their "cute" little (blue & yellow?) delivery lorries in the area in the 70s and my family still buy from them after 180 years trading !. For my sins I've only just found and read this very interesting History of the family on this site, I see Joseph was indeed descended from this prosperous blacksmiths business so that maybe explains his high literacy & workshop skills, he's described as "known throughout his life as a good Christian man who never ate a meal without giving thanks". It goes on to say "In 1887 Joseph married Elizabeth Baldwin. They had five sons and five daughters. The eldest son, George, was to marry Emily Grace Howell and by that marriage they had three sons. One of the sons, Stanley became the Registrar for the Forest of Dean." Dorothy doesn't get a mention, sadly.
http://www.forest-of-dean.net/downloads/Stories_Articles/The_History_of_the_Hale_Family...

I do hope this is of help and thanks again for the happy tale with a sad ending, if only it was just a story...
Jeff.

UPDATE !
apologies for repeating the same 1911 Census post as made earlier, didnt realise until I'd done it as I foolishly hadnt read the full thread. I hope the link to the Ancestry census page works ?, it does for me but that maybe cos my pc is just "remembering" it from looking earlier, cookies et al ?.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread