Winnie VIRGO & J GOULDING, Blakeney 1916 (General)

by dink999 @, Sunday, December 23, 2012, 10:01 (4135 days ago)

From the Gloucester Journal 27 June 1916

No Place Like Home

In answer to a letter written at Blakeney Council School, and which was enclosed with a consignment of vegetables to the Fleet, Winnie VIRGO has received an interesting reply from J.G GOULDING, a seaman torpedo man on board a battleship. The writer in acknowledging the receipt of the vegetables, says:

"They were very acceptable indeed, coming as they did directly after our big battle in the North Sea. I am pleased to say that this ship did her little bit in the action. I beleive myself that we sank two German warships and one submarine, and brought down one Zeppelin, so I don't consider that we did very badly. No doubt you will be suprised to hear that I am a native of of Blakeney, and the school you go to now was my old school. Mr. Evan JONES was my schoolmaster. I can just picture Blakeney as it is now, and I say, although I have been almost all over the world, that Blakeney is one of the prettiest places I have ever seen"

In conclusion the writer thanks the master, teachers and scholars of Blakeney Council School for their efforts on behalf of the sailors of the Grand Fleet

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread