Planning a trip to the Forest of Dean (General)

by stockampreddy @, Buffalo, NY USA, Thursday, June 20, 2013, 01:09 (3963 days ago) @ Jefff

Jefff, Thanks for the suggestions about the most scenic routes. Yes I was able to see the video. Beautiful countryside! I was excited to see the coal mines too. There was a link to another you tube video which was just music and landscape inside the forest. Wonderful! I also enjoyed viewing the photo gallery of churches!
Our conversations have raised more questions. One thing always leads to another you know. Ha ha They still have to do with planning my vacation since I want to make sure I am going to the correct locations.
1. I now am questioning whether I have jumped to the wrong conclusion about the churches from the baptism records after reading that excerpt you sent. I used the Parish Records section of this website to obtain the baptism records for Edward and Esther Stockham’s children and later Edward and Jane Stockham’s children. Only one Baptism occurring at Ruardean Chapel makes reference to the Bible Christian Church. This was for Alice Ellen baptized 15 Sep 1872. The baptisms for the other children list Drybrook only, nothing about Bible Christian and they don’t say Holy Trinity either. I assumed that they occurred at Holy Trinity Church, now I am questioning if they do or not.
Edward and Esther’ oldest child was baptized in Lea (so stated in the record). The next 2 were baptised in Drybrook when they lived in Little Dean Woodside and Cinderford. Edward and Jane’s 2 girls were born when they lived in Ruardean, but only Alice has the notation about Bible Christian Church. The other child Florence 1874 lists Drybrook only and memoranda states “privately”. So do you think Drybrook means Holy Trinity?
2. Also I wanted to ask how does one go about finding where their ancestors are buried? JH brought up some good points. I guess I assumed they would be buried in the church yard where the burial occurred but now I wonder. One of the children, Florence, died at 5 months and burial was at Drybrook. Under memoranda it states ”Name is annotated Upper Yd 2 Row 6 Gr” Does that mean she is buried at Holy Trinity in Drybrook church yard?
I have used “Find a Grave” to help locate ancestors in the States, but I have no idea how to do it in England. Edward Stockham lived on Walker’s lane in Ruardean when he died. His burial was at Drybrook 17 May 1891. How can I find out where he is buried?
Thank you

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread