Son of Major CP Ackers OBE ? (General)

by John Martin @, Sunday, June 30, 2013, 19:55 (3947 days ago) @ slowhands

Hi Folks,

I've just picked up on this thread after looking up C P Ackers. I was looking for the name of Mr Ackers son? who was killed in WWII and Cathedral Plantation on May Hill was planted in his memory.

Digressing a little I was a forestry student on Huntley Manor Estate in the early 1970's having been given a lead by Dr Cyril Hart who introduced me to Mr Trevor Edmondson, the Head Forester. His son Neil was a student too and he lodged at the Rest Room. I worked under Emrys Jones and my compatriots were Dennis Warren, Nesta, Ted and Betty Huggins, Ted Walker, Basil and the big guy from main street in the village who did all the saw bench work with his Jehovah's Witness assistant from the Forest.

I lodged with Joan Townsend and her two sons Raymond and Neil at The Firs in Hinders Lane. Neil got married to a farmers daughter from Awre. Great days and I remember so many people associated with the estate but names are fading a little now.

Ladder making in Newent, tent pegs makers on May Hill, cheap cider from Bert Knight's - all memories.

I hope Mike Freeman has forgotten my misdeeds. One of my co-students, John Studley, is now working in ethno-forestry in China and my successor Vince Thurkettle is a world champion gold panner!

My Aunt and Uncle still live in Flaxley.

Toodlepip

John Martin

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread