Districts. - viewpoint (General)

by slowhands @, proud of his ancient Dean Forest roots, Monday, July 29, 2013, 13:07 (3895 days ago) @ pojames

Very interested in your comments about 'subconscious mindset' re. whether one sees oneself as being Welsh or English. Out of interest, is the English side of the border referred to as the Welsh Border, or the English Border ? i.e. does it depend on your viewpoint ? (i ask, because I think my father referred to it as the 'Welsh Borders' - did that mean the family saw itself as Welsh ?)

Well...

The land to the east of the Wye is often referred to as the Welsh Borders and the land/counties along the Welsh/English border as the Marches. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Welsh_Marches

If I was in Redbrook looking across the Wye towards the woods and Penalt, my viewpoint, would be that I was in the Forest ( or Gloucestershire, or England )looking towards Monmouthshire (or Wales) across the border. I don't think that I would refer to it as either the English border or the Welsh border.

If I was crossing the old rail bridge into Wales, I might think that I was crossing the Welsh border, but equally I might think I was crossing the English border.

So its a personal viewpoint

--
Ἀριστοτέλης A Gloster Boy in the Forest of Dean ><((((*>

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread