Why Dean => Toxteth Lancashire ? (Photo Gallery)

by tonyburgham @, Wednesday, July 31, 2013, 21:34 (3915 days ago) @ Jefff

There are a number of valuable oils and fats recovered by crushing vegetable seeds. Vegetable oils are often called 'fatty oils', they have a similar make up the vegetable fats but are liquid at normal British temperatures whereas the 'fats' are solid (generally 'normal' is taken as fifteen degrees Celsius). As many of the plants used do not grow in Britain the seed crushing works were usually built in or close to large docks to facilitate imports.

The materials handled included soya beans, linseed (from the UK, Argentina, India and Canada), cotton seed (from Egypt, India and Greece) and peanuts (which they called 'groundnuts' from West Africa). All these oils were sold both for use in foods (human and animal) and for use in industrial products such as lubricating oil, soaps, varnishes, printing inks, and paints. Most of the residual fibrous material (they called it 'cake') was sold in slabs as animal feeds, some was taken to provender mills where it was mixed with grain and other additives to produce a range of balanced animal feeds known as 'compound feed' sold in hessian sacks.

When i was a kid in the 1950`s my grandfather Vincent (Henry's son) who also worked at the African oil mills used to bring home peanuts and we would roast them in front of the fire

regarding the house no in Wesley RD. I have had a look at the 1911 census and it states private house, no of rooms 4 so what i would call a 2 up 2 down. Not very grand!
Tony

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread