Why Dean => Toxteth Lancashire ? (Photo Gallery)

by Jefff @, West London, Middlesex, Wednesday, July 31, 2013, 23:42 (3921 days ago) @ tonyburgham

Thanks Tony, very interesting indeed. You were clearly given a good grounding (NO pun intended) by your grandad or perhaps you followed him into the business, eitherway always good to learn a little as so often happens here. Presumably the pressing process was to crush & extract the oil, or perhaps to "mould" the product into the cake, which I do know of wrt animal feeds. Eitherway getting beyond the scope of this forum so best leave it there.

Re the house on Wesley Road, most of that road is now occupied by the Miners Hall one side and the carpark opposite, but I easily found a photo online of a similar house on Wesley Road Cinderford. It's currently on the market so I'll send you the link by direct email as this site understandably won't permit it. The house is at the lower end of Wesley Road where it meets Station Street, the camera view is looking down the hill away from the town centre towards Valley Road & the old railway station area. Immediately to the right on the photo is the larger Edwardian semi townhouse I mentioned yesterday, then the Miners Hall.
The terraced house we own in West London is a similar ex-council 2up/2down built in 1914, perhaps a little wider as we have a hall next to the staircase. They were extensively modernised in later years including replacing the old outside lean-to WC with a brick larder extension and dividing the backbedroom to allow a proper bathroom. We thought it quite small and definitely not grand at all; until we visited a friend's newbuild starterhome c2000 which was 1/2 the size of ours, frontdoor straight into a tiny lounge, etc. Not sure about progress, nowadays our house is apparently considered quite "spacious" and clearly a good buy 20 years ago !

Cheers, Jeff

LATER UPDATE:

Tony, re the aforementioned Foster Bros Oil & Cake Mill in Gloucester, have you seen this article from the Journal paper of 1904,
http://www.coaley.net/indglos_1904/ig190440.pdf
Excellent website about Industrial Gloster, new to me but promises interesting reading.
http://www.coaley.net/indglos_1904/index.php

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread