F/O Robert David ACKERS (General)

by Jefff @, West London, Middlesex, Thursday, September 05, 2013, 01:21 (3886 days ago) @ John Martin

Good evenin John,
thanks so much for your kind words, it was a real pleasure for me learning more abt May Hill, but it's still very nice to be thanked. Thanks to you for adding your memories of your time in the area, and for reminding me of Winifred Foley's husband's name, Sidney. During the very early 90s they became nextdoor neighbours to my Nan who had retired to Huntley after running the Nags Head at Longhope. Thanks to your post I now remember learning Sidney had worked at Longhope Saw Mill, just as my Grampy and his dad had done years before. Do you recall what his book was about by any chance, local history I hope, I wonder if it ever got published ?. Also for mentioning Norman Beard; in a few weeks I hope to visit the Forest and meet some of the Longhope Beards who are very distant relations of mine, I'll have to ask after Norman.
I do hope you get to visit the area soon and enjoy a good hike up the Hill.

Sadly our annual trip to France had to be postponed this time, a shame given the recent lovely weather, thanks for asking. However my son did enjoy a surprise visit to an old school pal on holiday in Belgium, his pal's father is an RAF/MoD "policeman" based at the huge SHAPE Nato base near Mons. They all spent time at the local Memorials learning about the important WW1 Battle of Mons where some of our ancestors fought for the Glosters and South Wales Borderers, alongside his friend's ancestors who by "happy" coincidence were from the Scots Regiments, so very interesting as you say.

Cheers and atb, Jeff.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread