F/O Robert David ACKERS (General)

by John Martin @, Saturday, September 07, 2013, 18:36 (3856 days ago) @ Jefff

Hi Jefff,

It's surprising what memories can be dragged out by prompting! There were so many names at the Longhope turnery works I've forgotten but Brian Trigg drove the fork lift, Henry and Harry, his dad, did the haulage and were based in a garage at Ruardean. Frank Turner did the odd ball jobs - skittles and one-offs. One woman from the forest who had red hair had never been further than Gloucester in her life! Whilst I was there I had a good introduction into the forest dialect, ole butt. There were many workers from the forest.

I worked with Graham Tyler (and Norman Beard) from Coleford who latterly worked at the heritage centre doing ironwork so I'm told. John Allen, son of Keith Allen, lived on site and his father lived at Cliffords Mesne with his horses and an Alsation called Trompo. He had a groom who married a farmer from Bamfurlong way between Gloucester and Cheltenham. I made them a blanket box from English Elm with brass fittings.

Sorry to learn you didn't get away, perhaps you'll have another chance before too long.

I've just dropped in and have to go now but it's been enjoyable to recall those days.

All the best,

John

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread