Elizabeth Herbert (General)

by ChrisW @, Saturday, June 07, 2014, 16:06 (3582 days ago) @ Jean Herbert

Hi Jean

I have Avril Kear's book 'Bermuda Dick' which tells the tale of my very disgraceful ancestor Richard Kear b1826 Yorkley. There is very detailed information about what happened to Richard and the others. All I have to do is find the darn thing, as it probably lists sources!

Richard KEAR, James JAMES, George CHARLES, sentenced for Life at Gloucester 9 August 1851 -

One of 6 miners convicted of rape and sentenced to life imprisonment. Was transported to BERMUDA where he worked on a chain gang building the new Naval Dockyard. Returned after 10 years when the job was completed and was sent to Chatham where he worked on the new extension to the docks there. He was subsequently released and returned home to find his wife had remarried (and I can't say I blame her). Richard also remarried.

When the job on Bermuda was finished there was no other work available for the prisoners. Some were then sent on to Australia, whilst the lucky ones were sent back to England and at some point released.

Averil Kear is a member of this site (User Name averilkear) if you would like to contact her direct.

Cheers
Chris

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread