Latterday Saints (LDS) -- Free Census Site, & FreeBMD etc (General)

by janethowell, Sunday, June 15, 2014, 15:50 (3617 days ago) @ Jefff

Hi

Thanks for the links - makes interesting reading and I'm following them all up.

I have used LDS site for many years and used their microfiche service at a local centre before we had images online.

LDS was better 10 years ago with much simpler listings and option for you to batch download the info as gedcom files. I used a simple family tree maker then which allowed input of the gedcom files. Still got the info but can't find such a nice simple tree maker that runs on windows 7 so the info lies dormant at the moment. Hence I'm having to cover some old ground again 10 years on.

I like this FoDweb - I am finding the census indexes very useful. I can copy and paste into Excel spread sheet and sort into families for a rough idea before getting hold of necessary images. Just a pity I can't search commercial sites via folio and page numbers. Commercial sites are geared up to make money I know but I do wish they had a genealogist or two to write their search engines!

I steer clear of Ancestry - it's free at the local history centre at the library anyway.

I am the product of the many Forest of Deaners who emigrated to the Staffordshire coal fields. My ggg-grandfather did return to his roots in Bream to retire but his offspring mostly did not. He did attract his young grandson and family to settle back in the forest too and lived long enough to see his great-granddaughter.

Many, many thanks to all the volunteer transcribers. Maybe when I'm not working full time I'll volunteer myself.

One last thought - are you interested in receiving the transcribed info from certificates and images people have to add to your database? Sometimes we get the wrong certificate or image and it's still valuable info for someone else.

Janet

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread