re Sarah Jenkins sponsor to Hubert Thomas PREEST 1877 Bream (General)

by Jefff @, West London, Middlesex, Sunday, June 22, 2014, 20:57 (3567 days ago) @ janethowell

Re "sponsors", searching the forum shows this term was particualry favoured by Bream and also Pauntley chapels, plus a few others, it didn't appear to be "just" Methodists. One of these hits was my own question, unfortunately unanswered, I also asked if sponsors were aka godparents.
It seems that we are both correct, this from the C of E:

"What is a sponsor?
The Church of England also uses the term 'sponsor' in relation to rites of initiation. A sponsor is the equivalent of a godparent for an older candidate: 'When one who is of riper years is to be baptised, he shall choose three, or at least two, to be his sponsors, who shall be ready to present him at the font, and afterwards to put him in mind of his Christian profession and duties.' The law makes clear later that the same requirements (of baptism and, normally, of confirmation) apply to sponsors as to godparents.

The term "sponsor" is used for those who agree to support in the journey of faith candidates (of any age) for baptism, confirmation or affirmation of baptismal faith.

Sponsors may also be appointed, in addition to godparents, when a child is being baptised. In this case, they have the spiritual role of supporting the child's growth in faith, without the responsibility of the social role which is usually associated with godparents. So, for instance, sponsors might be found from within the church to supplement godparents chosen by the child's parents. Such sponsors might expect to have a role in encouraging the child's growth in faith and in church membership, but would not expect to have to buy them birthday presents!"

http://www.cofeguildford.org.uk/life-events/godparents-and-sponsors/

The Catholic religion appears to be of the same view.
http://www.drvc.org/the-chancery/sponsors-and-godparents.html

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread