Jenkins and Beach families (General)

by janethowell, Wednesday, July 23, 2014, 18:35 (3574 days ago) @ tonyjenkins

Hi

I am referring to the Thomas Jenkins born 1785, listed as son of George x Sarah.

There are two listings on FoD web (Newland and Bream)

My research leads me to assume that "my" Thomas Jenkins leads back to be son of George and Sarah. I was just wondering whether you knew otherwise or maybe you can see a flaw in my research so far - which is as follows.

Shadrach Jenkins marries Sarah Davis at Lydbrook Prim Methodists – March 1856
Shadrach’s father is Thomas Jenkins, collier

1841 census, Mill Hill
JENKINS Thomas 55
JENKINS Maria 45
JENKINS Thomas 20
JENKINS Daniel 15
JENKINS James 15
JENKINS Shadrach 10
JENKINS Kezia 8
JENKINS Ann 5
JENKINS Meshach 5
JENKINS Alice 2

Neighbours to Thomas and Maria at Mill Hill are James and Susannah Jenkins and family (his brother?), and Josiah Jenkins and family (a nephew? – Isaac’s son).

Thomas dies before 1851 census, and Maria is listed as a widow, still at Mill Hill with son Meshach and daughter Alice.

James Priest’s will mentions daughter Maria, wife of Thomas Jinkins - Maria is a benefactor – all in a thread in FoD archive posts.

Two children of Thomas Jenkins and Maria Priest are Samuel Jenkins and Shadrach Jenkins. This Samuel Jenkins is the mine owner. On Samuel’s death, Shadrach writes a poem to his brother – also catalogued in FoD archive posts.

Thomas dies March 1845 aged 59 yrs at Oakwoods Mill, shortly before his 60th birthday. Maria dies 1866 age 70, Bream Tything. All children’s baptisms state Thomas x Maria (not Mary).

Through several threads and the help of many on the FoD forum, we seem to have enough evidence to show my gg-grandfather Shadrach was brother to Samuel the mine owner and both are sons of Thomas Jenkins and Maria Priest.

I am now at the stage of trying to gather more evidence to see if George Jenkins x Sarah Beach are my ggg-grandparents. Evidence so far is
- George x Sarah's son Thomas was born May 1785, making him 56 for the 1841 census (rounded down to 55) – agrees with the entry above.
- George x Sarah's son Thomas marries a Mary / Maria. If he marries Mary Jones in 1802 then he would be 17yrs old. Other possibilities are Mary Prosser in Dec 1809 and Maria Priest in Sep 1811. The latter one to Maria best fits with birth of their first child Elizabeth in 1812. Maria Priest born 1795 making her 46 (rounded down to 45) in 1841.
- There should be a will for Thomas as his wife Maria is left property in her father’s will. I have not chased this up yet.

Unfortunately none of the marriages listed for a Thomas Jenkins gives parent details.

Janet

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread