Update on my Bowdler family research (General)

by JaneyH ⌂ @, Tunbridge Wells, Kent, Tuesday, October 28, 2014, 21:27 (3468 days ago)

Firstly, a big "THANK-YOU" to so many people on this forum for your assistance and encouragement with my family history research over the past few months. There are so many kind, helpful and enthusiastic people on here, not to mention a wealth of knowledge about the local area.

We've just got home from having spent a few days in the Forest, and have had the most wonderful break. On Friday I managed to squeeze in a couple of hours at the Gloucester Archives, while husband and young son went to the cinema (it was raining). Looking at the minutes of the Board of Guardians of Westbury Workhouse I discovered that my ancestors were the subject of frequent discussion. Much of this turned on what to do with my grandfather and his siblings, and chasing my great-grandfather for payment for their upkeep. In late 1922, he was pursued by the Workhouse under the Vagrancy Act for non-payment, and was committed to prison for one month's hard labour. I understand that Littledean Jail was no longer used as a prison by this point, so I'm assuming he would have been sent to Gloucester Prison. However, if anyone can help on this point I'd be most grateful.

On a happier note, we had a wonderful walk up from Soudley Ponds to Blaize Bailey, seeing cottages at the top of the hill which could have been where my ancestors lived. We also walked down Severn Street, Newnham - another address from my research - and then went to Cinderford. I had a long list of ancestors whom I knew were buried at Cinderford St John's, based on the parish records on this website. Imagine my delight when just a couple of graves in from the gate, who should I find but my 2x great-grandparents!

Aside from the family history research we had a great holiday, and I really enjoyed soaking up the atmosphere. I'd love to return again ... there are so many more places to explore. The wild boar and venison stew with herb dumplings in the pub last night wasn't half bad either!!!

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread