Ruardean Hill Baptist Chapel Memorial Inscriptions (Announce)

by cmfenton @, Ferndown, Dorset, Monday, April 20, 2015, 19:03 (3266 days ago) @ normanjw

Hi Norman,

I will email if I find other details, but for the benefit of others viewing this thread, the memorial inscriptions are best accessed via Resources / Memorial Inscriptions menu links and not the link in the first entry in this thread.

You may therefore have discovered that Amos Williams is not listed as being buried in this churchyard which is surprising as he is listed in the history published by the church in 1914 and updated in 1954 as a local preacher, (this detail can also be found in the 1891 census entry).

The only Amos Williams I have information for was born c 1837, son of John and Elizabeth. I have no information further back than this and am not related as far as I know to this branch of the family despite the link to Ruardean Hill. Though given the common surname I have not got back beyond my g3-grandfather, George Williams, who would have been born around 1780 (married 1806).

The George Williams (1881-1959) buried in the Ruardean Hill churchyard was my grandfather. His father, William (1842-1919), is also buried there. His father was also William (1808-1881).

Amos appears to have died in 1906.

Although some Family Trees on Ancestry list Amos's wife as Harriet Turner I cannot find any record of their marriage.
It is possible that Harriet remarried in 1911 (I cannot find a prior death or 1911 census entry). The Gloucestershire BMD database has a marriage recorded as Harriet Williams/Turner marrying Henry Sadler in 1911.

I hope this does not cause you too much confusion!

Best regards,

-Colin Fenton

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread