Baptism Jane HOLDER possibly Taynton - 1791 ish (Parish Records)

by aussie @, Tasmania, Australia, Sunday, October 25, 2015, 08:29 (3077 days ago)

Hi,

I have been researching my family tree since 1997. This is my first post on this forum and I have searched the Parish records many times and browsed the forum a few times too - great site!

My ancestor Jane HOLDER married John PROBERT 22.1.1810 St Mary de Lode, Gloucester.

They are on the 1851 census at Linfield Cottage, Preston, Gloucestershire. John PROBERT and their son Richard are enumerated as being born at Preston. However, Jane is enumerated on the same census as born about 1787 at Mathon, Worcestershire.

I have looked at the Forest of Dean Parish Records and wonder if Jane Holder may have been baptised at Taynton despite being born at Mathon? Perhaps they wanted to have her baptised in the family parish church? I am aware that a lot of HOLDER folk were at/from Taynton.

In the FoD PRs I found Jane HOLDER baptised 6.2.1791 Taynton dau of James and Sarah HOLDER.

Subsequently found a marriage of said James HOLDER to Sarah HOLDER 23.4.1782 Hartpury.

Record_ID: 38791

Grooms_Residence: Bosbury County & Diocese of Hereford

The fact that this James was from Bosbury but married at Hartpury, gives weight to my theory that perhaps he worked away and came back with his family to his wife’s parish for their daughter Jane to be baptised. (I couldn’t find a Sarah HOLDER baptised at Hartpury c.1760 and I’m not certain that she was from Taynton either).

I found a death for a James Holder 1841 Newent, which may or may not be him and it was just prior to the census.

Is anyone else researching the same family? Jane may have had a sister Elizabeth 1785 Hartpury.

This family is doing my head in!

TIA
Aussie

A few of the other names I am researching: BEARD - Arlingham, BRINKWORTH - Leonard Stanley, CARTER - Fretherne/Arlingham, MALPASS - Cam, WORKMAN - Fretherne.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread