WILLIAM A COX (General)

by Mike Pinchin @, Bedford, England, Tuesday, December 22, 2015, 22:56 (3048 days ago) @ G PAYNE

Hello Graham,

No, I don’t think I’m related to Enos BRAIN (but you never know where the Forest is concerned). Just interested in mysteries.

You are right that there seems to be nothing after 1902. The Stark County Democrat (from Library of Congress) reported that William A COX’s aunt, Eleanor SMART, principal witness, died on the night of Jan 13th/14th 1902 and that this threw the prosecution case into disarray. Does this mean she was a witness against him? The same paper reported on March 4th that his trial for second degree murder had begun the previous day. On March 7th it reported that the emergence of a witness, Dr KIMBLE, who corroborated his account that the BRAINs had attacked him first, and that he was just defending himself, destroyed the prosecution case. However, the jury could not agree on a verdict. That’s where it seems to end.

Perhaps this is him in the US 1920 Census? The only thing this has going for it is that he was born in Ohio and both his parent were born in Virginia (as per the 1900 Census). Also, if I have my US geography right, Columbiana is a very short distance from Washingtonville.

Ancestry:-

Name: William A Cox
Birth Year: abt 1864
Birthplace: Ohio
Home in 1920: Salem Ward 4, Columbiana, Ohio
Street: East High Street
House Number: 295
Race: White
Relation to Head of House: Head
Marital Status: Married
Spouse's Name: Martha A Cox
Father's Birthplace: Virginia