Amelia WOOD and Ernest COOK (General)

by jomeek, Thursday, October 26, 2006, 13:42 (6394 days ago) @ slowhands

My grandmother was Amelia Wood of Cinderford. She had 2 children; my mother Ena May Cook (b.1906) and my Auntie Elsie Cook (b.1903). Unfortunately, Amelia died in Dec 1907 when my Mum was very small and the 2 girls were brought up by their grandparents Frederick and Eliza Wood of Heywood, Cinderford. They had no contact with their father and I'm trying to find out more about him.

I have not been able to find a marriage of Ernest and Amelia, either in local parish registers or the GRO index.

This is what I know...

I have never been able to find a birth certificate for Amelia! Frederick and Eliza Wood had 8 children and all of the others registered. School records give her date of birth as 10th January 1877.

On the 1901 census Amelia was in service in Cheltenham, working for Mrs. Susan S Soulby

Elsie was born at the Green Dragon Inn, Monmouth on the 1st September 1903. Her father is given as Ernest Cook a bricklayer journeyman and her mother Amelia Cook (indicating they were married?!). The birth was informed by Ernest.

Ena May was born at Bilson Green, Cinderford, on 31st May 1906. Her father is again given as Ernest Cook a bricklayer and her mother Amelia Cook. The birth was informed by Amelia.

The death certificate states Amelia Cook died on the 11th December 1907, aged 30, and her death was informed by her mother, Eliza Wood. However in Holy Trinity Church Drybrook register it reads Amelia Wood.

On my Mum's marriage certificte in 1929, her father is given as Ernest Cook, a mason and it does not mention he is deceased. I wonder if she knew he was still alive?

I have found an Ernest Cook who I think is a likely candidate. He was born in 1866 in Eldersfield Worcs. This Ernest, a bricklayer, married Rosa Jane Smallwood of Bulley in 1888. In the 1891 census they lived with his mother at 5 Mitre Villa, Forthampton with 2 children (William and Albert). They had 2 more children Cicely 1895 and Gertrude 1897. Rosa died on the 12th September 1899 at Broadway, and by the time of the 1901 census the children were living with Aunts and Uncles across the country. Ernest Cook was living at 25 Hethersett Rd, Gloucester with his sister Jennie Heaven and her family.

Does anyone know anything about Amelia and Ernest?

Any information would be appreciated.

Jo Meek.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread