1876 - late registration of illegitimate birth (RHODES) (General)

by Jefff @, West London, Middlesex, Monday, February 29, 2016, 20:04 (2950 days ago) @ ChrisW

Further info abt this particular Jane Herbert (Abbey Street) may be found within this old thread, suggest track down to the third-last post entitled "Elijah & Jane Herbert - 1851 Census" by Jim Ashton, May 12, 2012. Unfortunately Jean Herbert hasn't posted on the forum since 2014, but Jim is still active and might be able to assist further.

http://forum.forest-of-dean.net/index.php?mode=thread&id=2648#p2654

-------------

By the way, in case you were not aware, Cinderford town was only generally known as such after the late 1800s, the growing "new" town was known as Woodside before that, or even Bilson Woodside & Littledean Woodside. This was when the older more "random" housing at Hinders/Dockham, St Whites, Cinderford Bridge(St Johns) became joined by infilling streets such as Abbey Street c1860. At this time this "side" of modern-day Cinderford was a detached part of ancient Flaxley Parish, despite being a couple of miles west of the Parish Church at Flaxley, and C11th Flaxley Abbey. I believe this was the case until Cinderford's second C of E Church (St Stephen) was built c1890, at the top of the town adjacent to Abbey Street, and the Parish of Woodside was created. In even later Census' the whole of Cinderford including Woodside and Bilson etc became known as East Dean. To add further possible confusion, perhaps, Abbey Street is itself connected to Flaxley Street.

Hoping this helps if by any chance you were wondering about the apparently changing geography thro' the Censuses. That said, apologies, as I see that despite being a newcomer to the forum you've been registered a few years now, sorry for my probably telling you what you already know. Even worse, (it's been a long day here...) I've only just this minute realised you and Jim share the Ashton surname, do you know each other off-forum ? I'm off for a lie-down now.., atb Jeff.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread