1876 - late registration of illegitimate birth (RHODES) (General)

by allan_rhodes, West Sussex, Wednesday, April 13, 2016, 17:08 (2926 days ago) @ smashton

Hi

I am a direct descendent of Thomas Rhodes b abt 1788 (the interloper) who married Mary Frowen b abt 1774 and later Mary Danfield b abt 1789. I think we may have been in contact before at some time via either Ancestry or Genes reunited. I recall you were attempting to trace back the Rhodes line. From my own research I found that Frank Rhodes was illegitimate born to Hanna (Morgan) after the death of her husband Thomas b abt 1837 d 1873. Thomas was the brother of my direct ancestor William.

I was interested to learn of the information regarding William and his cousin Caleb, I have some evidence to indicate that they had been in business together as Masons. Whilst I had traced Williams whereabouts to a couple of workhouses; Bristol and latterly Newport, where he died; I hadn't until now found information regarding his demise and the road to poverty.

I'm aware Thomas Rhodes b1837 may have assisted his father in law William Morgan with the building of Cinderford Baptist Chapel. I found a photo of Thomas's gravestone on this very site.

I share your sense of frustration with regard to reaching dead ends, I suspect Franks biological father may never be found and he carried the name Rhodes as a consequence of Hanna's situation at the time. From what I've learned often the illegitimate child was often given the surname of the father as a middle name or at least carried the christian name on from the father. Frank wasn't a name used in my side of the Rhodes family, although note it comes up in the Frowen side.

As for the dead of of Thomas b 1788 who brought the Rhodes name to the Forest and the Scowles in particular I too have drawn a blank to actual evidence of his Nottinghamshire roots. Although I have seen many who suggest he was from Hucknall Torkard (of Lord Byron fame) - the only clue being the name of his father William (Farmer) stated in the marriage certificate to Mary Danfield.

If anyone does have further information on the Rhodes's of the Forest of Dean - I would be pleased to know.I understand that the Frowen Rhodes's were descended from Mary Frowen and there is little evidence to link them to Thomas other than he being the step father.

Regards

Allan

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread